Fix Nathan

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Thursday 10/5/06

Today was a really good day. He's starting to complain so that is a really good indication that he's on the mend.

They had him breathing on his own this morning but he decided to remove his ventilation tube himself. That wasn't a great thing but they took it in stride. He's breathing on his own and feeling better for it. He is able to sit up a little more and that will help keep pneumonia away. He wanted to communicate so badly that he was frustrated beyond belief. He is now restrained on his right arm so he can't unplug anything else.

I talked with the nurse tonight and he will have surgery next Monday to begin the repairs to the bones. He will most likely remain in ICU for at least a week after that. Once he leaves ICU he goes to a place called Step Down which is between ICU and a regular hospital room. It sounds like once he's done at Step Down he will be transferred to a rehab center. I asked her if I lived in Denver if he would be able to come home at that time and she said "no". So, he will have to have rehab here for an unknown period of time before we'll be able to bring him home.

He is giving the nurses a hard time, big surprise. They love it because it shows he is strong willed and that is a really good thing for recovery.

I can't tell you how wonderful everyone has been throughout this whole ordeal. The staff has been exceptional. Kind, caring and compassionate beyond words.

The kids he goes to school with, Nick who came down from Seattle and Derrick who came up from Texas are the most amazing young people we've ever had the pleasure to know. They have been here for Steve and I every step of the way. Offers of a place to stay, a car to drive, a meal, doing laundry, running errands or just being there to have a shoulder to cry on and so many other things that it's almost overwhelming. It makes us so proud to know that Nathan has the caliber of friends does. I'd take them all home with me if I could. I hope their parents get to read this so they can know what wonderful kids they have.

I'm going to attach a photo that was taken on 10/3/06. I just want you to see how good he looked when we got here, at least from the chest up. He's looking better everyday.

Thanks to everyone for your prayers, well wishes, calls and emails. We are truly blessed to have such wonderful people in our lives. That too continues to amaze us. How lucky are we!!!

We love you all. Please understand that we can't always answer each email but will do our best to keep you posted here and drop an occasional email if and whenever possible.

5 Comments:

  • I wanted you all to know that the Urbanites here in St. Petersburg have a prayer team covering Nathan daily. We love you very much Nathan! God is taking care of you so rest in that knowledge and go easy on the nurses, okay? hehehehe
    xoxoxoMarjorie (your old chum from 200th Street)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:35 AM  

  • Dear Nathan Steve & Bev I am so so sorry to hear of the motorcycle accident. I am glad, Nathan that you are alive! It is going to be a long hard road to recovery but you will be able to do it. Keep your head up. Steve & Bev let me know if there is anything I can do for you. I will be checking the blog frequently for the updates and praying for Nathan's recovery.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:58 PM  

  • Nathan, this your roofer friend, Bill Guise. Recovery is a slow process but I am sure you will put some fast wheels under your cart and be up in record time! Just take advantage of the medical team care and get ready for some hard work at a leisurely pace on your road to continuing this great adventure called life. With all the and support you have surrounding you, things will work out.
    Will check the blog and follow your progress.
    Fond regards, Bill & Peggy Guise

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:30 PM  

  • Hey Nathan! When your mom says complains she means yell at the nurses and tell them to get out. We love you and we love hearing you complain. So we have been staying there with ya asap. Love you. Caitlin

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:44 PM  

  • Hey sweetie. I was there today with u for alittle bit. I dont know if u will remember. I cant beleive this happend and I have been able to sleep because when I close my eyes I see your face. I love u sweetie and I want u to know that!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home