Fix Nathan

Friday, December 22, 2006

Frustration!!!

I'm so sorry this has taken so long to get brought up to date. I've been fighting with my computer. I dropped it and it's been giving me fits...

Anyway, let me bring you up to date.

We left Denver on Saturday December 16, 2006. Nathan's therapist Diana, gave us a lift to the airport. We arrived about 1:30. They brought a wheelchair to the curb and helped us with our luggage. Once we got checked in, we were wheeled to security and basically went to the front of the line. It was interesting for Nathan to go through security in a chair. Because he could stand, he stood and leaned against the wall and basically went through a pat down. His elbow didn't react to the wand but his femur did. Must be different types of metal. Off we went to the gate. The little gal that was pushing the wheelchair put us in the boarding line, right in the middle of it all. We were plenty early for the flight and then we found it was delayed about 35 minutes. We ended up boarding shortly after 4:00. It was kind of cool as we were the first to board and then they held the rest of the passengers for a few minutes while we got settled. We had a very nice flight.

Thanks to my sister, her husband, my aunt and uncle we were able to fly home first class. Nathan was getting pretty figgitty by the time we landed but I know he was way more comfortable than if he'd had to fly coach.

It was so great to get home to see my husband, dad and dogs. It was just really great to be home. We did come home to no power due to the big windstorm. My darling husband was able to get the generator going so we didn't suffer. We had both refrigerators, the freezer, lights and the fan for the gas stove. Plus we have a gas range and water heater so we didn't do without. Steve even got the lights up on the house and outside tree and a giant Frosty in the front yard and the indoor Christmas tree up with lights. I need to decorate it and will work on that tomorrow.

However, we sure do miss our Denver family and we can't thank you enough for all you've done for us. Thanks for getting us home. We hope that you are all doing okay with all the snow you've gotten. I would have loved to have seen it but am kind of glad that I didn't have to try to get around in it. Not that I'd have gotten too far. I probably would have had to camp out at Monaco. Wouldn't have minded helping them. I'm sure they must have been short handed and tired too.

Nathan had his first visit from the Home Health Nurse on Sunday. Interesting to say the least. She is quite the talker and for those of you that know Nathan, know he isn't real crazy about that.

On Monday he had an appointment with our Family Dr. to check in and get the referrals that he needs for ortho, PT, OT, etc. etc....

Tuesday, the home PT guy came. It was so weird. The guy that showed up was Bill Welch who was Nathan's 6th grade basketball coach and Steve's therapist for his back. It was great to see him and he and Nathan were able to catch up on some of the kids from the team.

He's seen an OT. Don't totally know what the plan is there so we'll see.

Last night Nathan finally got the air bed he's needed since Saturday. It's been incredibly frustrating trying to get it. What they originally brought was a mattress and then an air mattress. The air mattress when inflated was about 2" or less thick. It was just ridiculous. It was hard as a rock. I couldn't yell at the guy who brought it but I sure wanted to. Then another guy showed up at 10:15 PM with the exact same thing. Who can figure....

Today, Nathan had a urology appointment. One of the things they warned Nathan about with the type of injuries he sustained was a urethra stricture at the injury site. So on January 3rd, he is going to have a procedure to see if that is happening and if so, they'll stretch that area to correct the problem.

Next week he see the Ortho Doc here for the first time. I imagine that after that visit he will probably start outpatient PT & OT. I think he's ready for that. Especially if he's planning to head back to Denver in February...

The first week of the year he already has 3 appointments scheduled. Dentist as he complained of his teeth hurting after the accident (they were suppose to have a dental consult but didn't), wound clinic to check up on the back wound and then the urology appointment. This and therapy too! He's going to be a busy boy.

Well, I'm hoping to have better luck accessing the blog so I can keep this more current. I appreciate your patience.

We wish you all a Very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year and also a Happy Hanukkah.



1 Comments:

  • I am so happy you got home safe and sound Nathan. I hope you enjoy spending the Holidays home with you family! Have a Merry Christmas, and I think you Mom my just be an angel. I hope Santa Claus is very good to her this year!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home