Fix Nathan

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

11/14/06 Happy Birthday Dad!

I know this blog is about Nathan but as I mentioned yesterday, today is my Dad's birthday. Hope you had a great one Dad and we wish we were home to help you celebrate. Thank you for everything you've done for us. You mean the world to us. We Love You!!!

Today we were hoping that Nathan would get to have a shower but, they put in him the shower chair which is made of hard plastic and he just wasn't able to tolerate it. He looked pretty miserable until they were able to get him moved to his wheel chair. He was really zonked today. Really tired and said he just didn't feel good. Slept late and took a couple of naps. Hoping he will sleep okay tonight.

Still having trouble with his appetite but I was able to tempt him with a Whopper w/cheese, fries and a chocolate milkshake. I think he finished everything but the fries. Was really glad to see that.

He's lost about 20 pounds since the accident. Which he really didn't have to lose. We will get him on some protein shakes and see if we can't get some weight back on him. I know he tries, he just isn't hungry. He has my Mom's metabolism and eating habits. As I've said before, he eats to live....

We played Gin again today and I beat the socks off him. Then we moved on to Scramble (Scrabble, but this is what the activity person called it %-} ) I beat him in that too. I forgot how fun that game is. Really makes you think. I need a dictionary. I kept telling Nathan, I can look it up on the computer. It was fun and I imagine we'll be playing more often.

I've been doing some knitting. Lindsie, our neighbor is having a baby girl in January so I've been knitting a few things for her. Sure haven't had time to do that in a long time. I've actually finished 3 things and am working on a 4th. I can't tell you what as I think she reads this on occasion.

A couple of the CNA's have made a big deal about the knitting so we're going to go across to the craft store and they'll pick out yarn for a scarf. They're really good to us (granted it's their job but we all know how that goes) so I figure it's the least I can do. Besides it keeps me occupied when we aren't doing therapy, going to Dr. appts. or the ER...

I'm also reading the Harry Potter books. I'm on the first one and am really enjoying it. Wish I could get Nathan to read them or anything for that matter. He's a good reader, it just isn't at the top of his to do list. Maybe he just hasn't gotten bored enough yet.

Hopefully tomorrow he will have gotten a good nights sleep and will feel good. We've had a few good days in a row so I don't mean to sound like I'm complaining. He's really doing great and I'm proud of him for all that he has to do and endure. He'll get through this eventually. Especially with all of you out there. We love you all.

Thank you all for your continued support both spiritually and financially. We are truly blessed to have people like you in our lives. What a miracle. Thanks for being part of our miracle. We love you all, The Mellon's

2 Comments:

  • Hi Nathan and Bev,
    Sorry to hear that the shower didn't work out! Have they heard of Memory Foam? I bet it could go into the shower just fine!
    I'll be praying for your good news on thursday at Denver Health when you see the doctors!
    Wish I could send you 3/4 of my appetite, we'd both be better off!
    Keep up the good work so you can get home soon! Love, Carla

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:35 PM  

  • Hi Bev & Nathan! I just heard today. Since I'm no longer at Farmers, I get news a little delayed. Our thoughts are with you. Please let us know if there is anything at all we can do for you! You guys are so strong. Nathan will be weight bearing before you know it. It's been raining like crazy around Seattle, but we'll send warm thoughts your way.
    Loads of Love,
    Melanie Turner

    By Blogger Melanie, at 10:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home