Fix Nathan

Thursday, November 16, 2006

11/15/06 on 11/16/06

Sorry I missed posting yesterday. It was quite a day.

I spoke with Nathan about 9:30 yesterday morning and he told me that his catheter had quit working and that they were going to transport him to Denver Health ER. So off I went to Denver Health. Figured I'd get there before he did. I got there about 10:30. Checked in and asked them to let me know when he arrived. About 11:30 I went to the desk and they had no record of him showing up yet. So, I called back to Monaco Parkway and was told he'd left about 10:30 and should be there. He was supposedly taken to urology where he was schedule to go to today 11/16. So, off I went over there, only to be treated rudely by a receptionist. I asked her if she had any record of Nathan being there and she told me no. I tried to explain what was going on and she informed me that this was the breast clinic. I said I thought it was urology and she said it is but they are out today. I know that this explanation doesn't sound so bad but her tone and body language spoke volumes. I was on the phone with JJ at the facility and she said they'd taken him to Adult Urgent Care which happened to be next door. Needless to say that I'm beginning to get a little freaked out. I get to Urgent Care asked if Nathan was there and the guy doesn't appear to even look and says "no"..... He's at the ER. I'd just come from there, he told me they just moved him... At that point I'm beginning to get really irritated. I went back to ER who checked again and still didn't show him. So I went out to the main desk and a security guard called someone and they told her he was at ER. Back I went to ER. I approached the desk and asked them to check again. There was a nurse or someone there that started to get in my face about how they were just doing their job. I hadn't even raised my voice at this point. So, I decided it was time. I said that my son was in this hospital somewhere and had been for the past 2 hours and I want to know where he is RIGHT NOW! The kind security guard that had been trying to help me for the past hour said he thought he'd seen him in 6B and would go check and come back and let me know. Well he found him and he'd just gotten there. Still not sure where he'd been, when exactly he'd arrived, etc., etc. I was exhausted at this point.

So after finally finding him about noon or shortly there after, things began to slowly happen. They did all the usual stuff, vitals, blood draw, blah, blah, blah. Finally got around to calling Urology to find out what they wanted to do.... This was about 1:30. Finally they took him for the scan of the bladder to see if he could get the catheter out or not. They brought him back shortly after 3:00, then we had to wait for them to look at the scan results and let us know what they were going to do. Dr. Favis showed up about 2 1/2 hours later explaining that they'd been in surgery all day and he was sorry for the wait. He was very nice and said that they'd looked at the scan and everything looked good and they were going to remove the catheter. But wait there's more.... first they want to fill his bladder, then remove the catheter and make sure he can pee. Well, that didn't workout as the catheter decided to fail again and they couldn't flush it. So, they just decided to remove it and basically hope for the best. Out it came, it was horribly painful for him. I felt so bad. And on top of that his back is killing him from being back on the gurney for 9 hours. Poor guy just can catch a break.

They gave him a liter of fluid and waited for him to pee. Let me tell you that was awful for him (peeing that is). He was so worried that the pain was something that would last for a long time. Pretty hard to pee when you know it's going to hurt so bad.

Finally they released him and he was transported back to Monaco and was back in his more comfortable bed about 10:45 PM. So another long day in the ER but the good thing is he didn't have to go back today.

He is feeling much better today and is finding that peeing is getting much better. I know that may sound weird to some but unless you've experienced it, you can even begin to imagine.

He had therapy today and they left him sitting on the edge of the bed for awhile. It got a little hard as he had no back support so I sat behind him. That worked for awhile and then he laid on his side. That was the first time I'd seen him do that. He actually looked fairly comfortable. Took a short nap while he was waiting to get back in his own bed.

Monday we see the ortho guys and they'll take the pins out of his arm.

Hopefully last night was our last visit to the ER. Can't really think of anything else that might come up that would send him back. Hopefully that is.

Sorry that I didn't get the blog updated last night, it was late and I was tired when I finally landed.

We are looking forward to being home soon. Don't know when yet but setting some great goals to get there.

Thanks so much to all for your love and support. We love you, Bev

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home